Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Three Weeks

I woke up this morning, Tuesday, face to face with the realization that in three weeks from today, Nick and I will board a one-way flight out of here and our time on Guam will have come to its end.

It's weird to be here in this transitionary state. Our house is now a shell of itself, stocked lightly with boonie furniture. It doesn't look or feel anything like home anymore. I still have enough of our kitchen stuff here to cook meals, but it isn't as cozy on the sofas, and watching the beginning of football season on a 20" TV leaves much to be desired. Worst of all is sleeping on a rental bed. I can count on one hand the number of times I have slept through the night since they packed up our bed... our amazingly wonderful bed that we won't see until the end of October (sigh).

To combat the depressing state of our house, we have been spending as much time outside of it as possible. We have changed our patterns up a little bit. During any unfilled chunk of free time in the afternoons, Nick and I have started heading to the beaches around base just to sit there. We watch the coconuts roll through the waves in the rising tide. We harass the tiny hermit crabs as they go about their way. We throw shells and pieces of coral into the sea. We let the sun warm our skin and let the breeze weave through our hair and we look out over the breathtaking view often in pronounced silence. It's as if the more hours we log at these stunning shores the more we can take them with us somehow.


Hermit crab photo shoot

I've started to recognize that every time I do a hike or head to a farther away beach around here, it is likely my last time. We had a pastor visiting our church from off-island this weekend, so a group of youth and young adults from the church took him hiking Sunday afternoon to Talofofo Caves and Waterfall Valley. It hit me as I was at the bottom of the biggest waterfall looking up that this would likely be my last time in beautiful Waterfall Valley. This Sunday will be my last time to sing in church with my friend and coworker Kevin. Last Thursday I submitted my last Fresh Factor post for the Guam Guide. After today I only have one meeting left with my women's Bible study that has carried and lifted me through the last two years.

For the most part, I actually find myself pretty ready to move on. Not having our stuff here, combined with our house's desire to spontaneously start breaking in every possible way (we currently have no A/C for the third day in a row)... all that plus rainy season and winding down at work has created a recipe to naturally shovel us forward into the next realm.

But there are some lasts that I am absolutely dreading... our last Sunday at church... my last youth group... the going away party with our friends.... and most of all, boarding that plane at Guam International Airport one last time. I know our time here is up... we've had our two years and then some. All that was promised has come true. And it has been absolutely wonderful. But it has to be said that when you find yourself in paradise, you wish paradise could go on forever. In our case, paradise will be lost, and it will all happen three weeks from today.

7 comments:

  1. You have made the absolute most out of your time there!! What an adventure :) If you ever find yourself in pensacola let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of anyone who has made more of her time in Guam than you! You have rocked Guam 's socks off and you will be greatly missed. On the other hand I cannot wait to see you here in Virginia and have to wonder, will the blog get a new name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girls! I am still trying to figure out what to do with the blog... more to come on that!

      Delete
  3. "...watching the beginning of football season on a 20" TV leaves much to be desired." If only it were so nice as a 20" TV. It is actually a 13" computer monitor that I have had since my sophomore year of college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As big bird says, "saying goodbye is a backwards hello"! We are so blessed to have an abundance of Guam memories through your eyes...and your way with words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's hard. So glad you had a tour worth reminiscing over though! Where are you headed next?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've enjoyed reading about how much you enjoyed Guam. What a great tour for you and Nick. Good thing you've got plenty of friends moving to Virginia who can help make the next tour a great one, too. ;)

    (Cutest baby hermit crab, ever)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! This blog is no longer active. If you write a comment, I will receive it, but may not respond right away. Thanks for stopping by!