Monday, September 10, 2012

"If not me, then who?"

I just returned home from one of my last trips to the Commissary here. Standing in line to check out with the next few days' groceries, I glanced at the cover of the recent Stars and Stripes newspaper where I found myself face to face with one of the saddest headlines I have seen in some time:

War-weary US is numbed to drumbeat of troop deaths


Here's an excerpt:

"American troops are still dying in Afghanistan at a pace that doesn't often register beyond their hometowns. So far this year, it's 31 a month on average, or one per day. National attention is drawn, briefly, to grim and arbitrary milestones such as the 1,000th and 2,000th war deaths. But days, weeks and months pass with little focus by the general public or its political leaders on the individuals behind the statistics."

I guess what makes me so sad about this article is knowing how dramatically life has changed for the close friends, colleagues, and family members of the individuals behind the statistics. I get that it's easier to pass all the sadness by when it doesn't touch us personally, but it seems so unfair that the Americans who carry this burden of sacrifice hold such an incomprehensibly enormous share of it.

This Tuesday, Nick's command is hosting the second annual 9/11 Heroes Run here on Guam in support of the Travis Manion Foundation and Wounded Warrior Project. It's a small event... a 5K run that will be over within an hour. We don't know how many people are going to show up at this point. We don't know the sum of the donations we will collect. In fact, we don't even know if the T-shirts and race prizes will be here in time for the actual race.

What we do know is that the community on base around here has been incredibly supportive of this very grassroots event. Last week Nick went around to different commands on base to pass out posters and announce the race. He was met with enthusiasm and and participation and gratitude that such an event was taking place in our little community in this small corner of the world. Everyone I've talked to seems excited about an opportunity to show support for those who have made great sacrifices for our country during these past 11 years.

I hope this 9/11 you too will find a way to celebrate or recognize or grieve or do or be to honor the individuals behind the statistics and support those who carry this burden. I don't know exactly what that looks like, and it will be different for everyone. But please don't let your hearts be numbed to the drumbeat of sacrifice. It will mean so much to those whose share of the burden affects every minute of every day.

And if you wonder why this call is for you, remind yourself of the words Travis Manion spoke explaining why he chose to serve:

"If not me, then who?"

____________________________________________________________________

To donate to the Guam 9/11 Heroes Run in support of the Travis Manion Foundation and Wounded Warrior Project, please visit: http://www.crowdrise.com/GuamHeroesRun

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you and everyone who did the Hero's Run on Guam this year. I am really touched by the stories I've heard of people supporting our troops and you my friend are a huge support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special run as one of your last events on Guam! Missed participating this year in Houston.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! This blog is no longer active. If you write a comment, I will receive it, but may not respond right away. Thanks for stopping by!