Friday, July 29, 2011

For My Mom

Visiting Mom and awesome coworkers at the office
Today I want to highlight a very important milestone for our family. My mom, Jane Holston, is retiring! After eight years of service as Executive Director at Literacy Advance of Houston, and decades of career steps before that, she is trading in the often 70-hour workweeks in order to do, well, whatever she wants. Of course, if I know my mom (someone with whom I proudly share many traits), I bet she won't be sitting still for long. It's only a matter of time until her next life assignment sends her spinning into new networking circles, making connections with people and places, and putting scathingly brilliant ideas into action.

Celebrating after another successful fundraiser!
One of the hardest parts about living in Guam is having to miss out on important days like this. I wish so much I could be there at her retirement party in person to hear all the wonderful accolades from learners, colleagues, and friends... and to see Mom in action in her leading role one last time.

But 18 hours of flying (each way) for a 2-hour party just doesn't add up :(

Love you Mom!
So Mom, as you close this chapter in your life, know how proud I am of you and all you have accomplished. In my mind I can see a photograph of all the faces of people who have learned to speak English or read their native language for the first time. There are thousands. Each of those individuals have returned to their homes, their jobs, their communities with a greater ability to communicate in and to contribute to our world. Your time and talents have enabled all that empowerment. Your relationships and ingenuity have invited the funding to sustain these life-changing programs. And your attitude of service has impacted so many.

I am SO proud of you, Mom, and so excited for what's to come next. Especially since rumor has it, it will include plane tickets to a small island in the middle of nowhere :) Congratulations and have fun doing whatever you want. Please come see us soon, before you inevitably become busy again. So much to celebrate!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hope you get to see her soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Much To Celebrate! I'll help celebrate for you. Need a Peyton phone date soon! -Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update! Thanks to my awesome sister who works for Cisco we got to video conference in to the party and didn't miss a thing! (except hugs I suppose). I totally feel like I just went to Houston for the morning... Technology is pretty amazing these days!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! This blog is no longer active. If you write a comment, I will receive it, but may not respond right away. Thanks for stopping by!