Friday, June 17, 2011

Go with the FLOW

As many of you know, one of my favorite things about being on Guam is the job I have here. Sure, you've heard me gloat about it in the past, but when you find yourself putting hours spent filling up water balloons on your time sheet, it makes it even more obvious. With summer upon us, Wednesday night we did a rendition of Field Day at youth group, which we refer to as Go with the FLOW (Future Leaders of the World). I remember playing classic Field Day games the last week of school every year. It was always something to look forward to, and I wanted to pass along some of the fun to these guys, many of whom had gone their entire childhood without doing an egg on a spoon race (if you can believe that!). It was also our last youth group before the military kids get out of school, many leaving island for the summer, and thus, the last time our group would be together until September.
Three-legged race 

Chloe and I came in dead last both times... 
that's the last time I team up with a 6th grader.

Egg on a spoon race - Photo is blurry to simulate dizziness... 
and because I am fast like lightening
Water balloon toss... at sunset on the Philippine Sea. How's the view from your office? :0)
This game is called "Back to Back" - You have to place a water balloon between your backs and shuffle the length of the race course without breaking or dropping it. 

 
The girls owned this race

Junk food anyone? Inside for pizza, brownies, ice cream, and homemade fried Oreos. 
The kids weren't wound up at all...

 
Aren't we a nice looking group?
 
We were a nice looking group... Wouldn't be youth group without a goofy shot!
Like most of these guys parents', I can't believe a whole school year has gone by and that each of them will be moving up a grade. I have really enjoyed getting to know all of these young people and have learned a lot from them. I am excited for our next step... and it's a big one. I am taking eight of these youth, three college leaders, and four other adults to Manila for a week-long service trip. We leave Saturday (tomorrow!!). After hundreds of hours of planning and $6,000 worth of fundraisers over the last seven months, we are finally going! We will spend our first two workdays at an orphanage and our second two days teaching at a school. We will get to explore Manila a bit and hit up the fourth largest shopping mall in the world (Helloooo Zara!). 

I'm extremely excited for this opportunity, especially for our Future Leaders, to go and serve in a place that has very real poverty. And I'm trying not to think about the fact that I am responsible for all of these people for a week in a somewhat dodgy third world country... yikes! So I am definitely accepting all offers for prayers this week... that we would stay safe and healthy, grow spiritually, and somehow be a blessing to those we come to serve. And on that note, thanks to all of you who have supported the trip along the way through your prayers and donations, and to my Guammie readers, for helping with the rummage sale. This trip was built surrounded by love and I can't wait to go live it out. Looking forward to sharing stories and pictures from Manila with all of you!

1 comment:

  1. Have a great trip! I'm sure the skit/banner will be the highlight ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! This blog is no longer active. If you write a comment, I will receive it, but may not respond right away. Thanks for stopping by!