Wednesday, January 18, 2012

New Years at the Lake

It has come to my attention (thanks Kristen!) that Peyt's Island has become a total snoozefest these last few weeks. I do apologize to my regular readers, but only so much. It's sooo hard to write updates to a keep-in-touch blog from the States because it takes away time that I could be spending hanging out with friends instead of updating them! But now that I am OCONUS and halfway back to Guam with some serious down time (aloha!), I'm going to hopefully jazz this place up a bit. So here goes, picking up at New Years (wow, I am over two weeks behind... laaame!).

Our time in Houston did include one overnight road trip to our friends Sara and Matt's family lakehouse. I can't remember how many visits Nick and I have made up this way over the last 12 or so years that Sara and I have been friends, but the visits are numerous. We have lots of great memories from hanging out here after the homecoming dance, spring break, the week before Nick left for I-Day, and trips back to Houston during college. The lake is always a relaxing getaway with delicious food and fantastic friends, and this trip proved to be no exception.


Sara and Matt, our gracious and glowing hosts

A quick stop on the way there... fireworks. Zillions of them. I had no idea what did what. Felt like I was ordering off a menu in Japanese. Except much less classy. After much hemming and hawing, we opted against the "Official Redneck Party Pack" in the corner and went a la carte.

 Getting ready for a fabulous last 2011 dinner of smoked ham and sweet potatoes... yum!
Their daughter Savanna looking festive... 
she loooooves the headband and never wants to take it off

Lots of partying took place...

Just kidding! We were all fighting to stay awake until midnight!

 The first day of 2012 was a Texas beauty... blue skies and sunshine. Nick took the kayak out on the lake while the rest of us sat around in our pajamas doing as little as possible.

 And I found my favorite place in the world to start off the new year... a seat in the sun.

Thanks to Sara and Matt for a fantastic new years eve getaway! It's always a good day at the lake. 

A quick mention about Sara's blog, These Lees, because it is one of my top three favorite blogs in all the interweb, and the one that gave me the idea to start one of my own. It's one of the few I have literally laughed out loud (more times than I can count) and even cried my eyes out reading. It's so well written and bursts with wittiness. Not your ordinary mommy blog, that's for sure. Check it out!

2 comments:

  1. Aw, thanks!!! So glad we got to hang out with you guys that I'm not even upset about how terrible I look in those photos! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sara... you look fabulosa, as always! Loved getting all caught up with you guys and look forward to seeing what 2012 brings... can't believe the 1st birthday is around the corner!! xxoo

      Delete

Hey there! This blog is no longer active. If you write a comment, I will receive it, but may not respond right away. Thanks for stopping by!