Friday, August 27, 2010

Five Years and Counting

That’s right, five years ago today (Aug. 27th), Nick and I barely beat the start of BUD/S and the outer bands of Hurricane Katrina to make things official, beginning our lives together as Ensign and Mrs. Roberts amid a joyous celebration of family and friends in Texas. Part of me can hardly believe it’s been that long. But when I think about it, we’ve accomplished a lot these past five years (Nick’s training and graduation, four deployments, Master’s degree, new jobs, new friends, family goodbyes, four honeymoons, learning to dive, climbing mountains, overseas move, our own sailboat, etc.). As my mom put it, “That’s a lot of living in five years.”

(Side note: The weeks after our wedding when people started asking, “So when are you having kids?” our answer was “in five years.” Our answer hasn't changed.)
Two of my favorite people in the whole world :)


One of the wonderful things about moving is the chance to rediscover hidden treasures. One such treasure was an entire journal I wrote in college that I hardly remember writing… but I'm so glad I did. Skimming through the pages, I realized it was from the summer after our first year of college (written in the journal you gave me Sara! And happy birthday!). After working on summer staff at our church in Houston, I spent a month in Washington, DC living with my amazing Aunt Pat and Uncle Bill while working for my extremely generous and fun cousin Tracy (summer catering gig, episode one). That was such an exciting time in my life, a turning point I didn’t then recognize. Family definitely came through to make it possible for Nick and I to be together.
And on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 I have an entry with this gem: 
Visiting Nick after Plebe Summer


“I wonder, sometimes, if I will be able to do it… to be a Navy wife for a minimum of five years. Nick will have dangerous trainings and very dangerous trips where he will be able to give little attention to me. I wonder if I am strong enough to face the separation and the lifestyle and being placed second to a greater duty. I hear stories of two people being so in love but having it not work out because of the military lifestyle. At times, I wonder.


“But then I stop and remember the kind of God I serve, and I know that wondering is something I need not waste my time on. If it’s meant to be, it will work. If not, then God has something else planned for me… although I can’t imagine a greater plan than this.”


Turns out that as a college freshman, 19 years old, one year into dating, I got a lot of things right. Nick has spent many a night away from home on dangerous trips and dangerous trainings. I am, indeed, second to a greater duty. And God wrote out a beautiful, though not always easy, plan for us.


But what I know now that I didn’t then is that I am strong enough and we can do this. I now know the separations that tear us apart even at this very moment are what fuel our sense of attentiveness and adventure when the forces that be bring us back together. And so, like many team wives I’ve talked to, I have learned to love this lifestyle and embrace the opportunities it brings (two-year vacation in Guam, helloooo!). I’m grateful for having a husband who has remained so true to himself and true to me throughout many---too many---nights apart. 



Photo in Annapolis a day after the journal entry - July 4, 2002
And so on this, our fifth anniversary, I just wanted to take a moment to reflect on how lucky I still feel waking up every day knowing I’m married to a hero and friend. And I want to thank those of you who have supported us and celebrated with us, those of you reading this today. We are so blessed to have loving families and friends galore around the world.  
So honey, Happy Anniversary! I love you… looking forward to our next five years together!
Our fabulous wedding guests!
PS - Happy anniversary tomorrow Mom and Dad!

5 comments:

  1. This is the best post! You guys are so perfect for each other. Happy 5 years! Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw Peyton, this made me cry a little. You guys are so precious, I am so impressed at how you both have handled these challenges. How can I be like you? :) Happy anniversary friend. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO adorable. I'm inspired. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a sweet post - I can't believe it's been FIVE years! Congratulations to both of you, I know it hasn't been easy, but it's nice to know it's been worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! This blog is no longer active. If you write a comment, I will receive it, but may not respond right away. Thanks for stopping by!